[OT?] US & CA govt use of PDF fill-in forms

Ernest Prabhakar Prabhaka at apple.com
Mon Apr 26 21:02:20 UTC 2004

On Apr 26, 2004, at 9:59 AM, Ihab A.B. Awad wrote:
> Actually, with all due respect to FSF India's opinion -- which is
> pretty much
> what I would expect from FSF anywhere -- I claim the US tax agencies'
> policy
> fails an even weaker standard: that of the availability of more than
> one
> source for the software required to use the format.

That isn't quite true.

For example, Apple's Quartz technology is an alternative implementation
of the PDF standard, and I use it regularly to read (and generate) PDF
documents via the Internet.  And I personally consider PDF a huge
improvement over having to download MS Word documents, in terms of both
user experience and cross-platform compatibility.

Rather than focus on trying to insist on an alternative to PDF - is
there a viable one? - I would think it more effective to encourage the
development of alternative software for using it.   Apple has shown
that it is at least possible.

I realize that Apple's technology on runs on the Mac.   However, the
fact that multiple PDF readers don't exist on other platforms could be
considered a limitation of those platforms, rather than of PDF. :-)

Perhaps what you are really saying - which might be at least slightly
relevant to this list - is that you only want governments to use
document formats that are supported by open source implementations.  Is
that your point?

- Ernie P. (personal opinion only)