OSL 2.0 and linking of libraries

jcowan at reutershealth.com jcowan at reutershealth.com
Thu Apr 1 20:55:39 UTC 2004

Alexander Terekhov scripsit:

> Here's the ruling:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3c2n2

Interesting, but I think it's easily distinguishable.  This case involves
Softman, who bought collections of software from Adobe and repackaged them
for resale.  The court treated this as a sale rather than a licensing,
invoked the first-sale doctrine (thus neglecting any incidental copying
Softman was doing), said the EULA (which was only displayed for assent
when the software was installed) did not apply to Softman because they had
not assented, and told Adobe to stuff it.

Here we have collections which unambiguously are collections: the question
about statically linked software is precisely whether or not it is a
collection.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        jcowan at reutershealth.com
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There are
no words left to express his staggerment, since Men changed the language that
they learned of elves in the days when all the world was wonderful. --The Hobbit