OSL 2.0 and linking of libraries

jcowan at reutershealth.com jcowan at reutershealth.com
Thu Apr 1 19:46:01 UTC 2004

Lawrence E. Rosen scripsit:

> You don't need the clarification. Simply linking a program against a library
> or loading machine readable code compiled from source code doesn't create a
> derivative work of software.

Well, that may turn out to be the case.  But there's enough dispute on
the point that I wish you'd introduce an option into the OSL allowing
the licensor to include or exclude such situations.  The fact that
people believe (even though there's no empirical evidence for it)
that the GPL prevents MPL-style forking by creating a Larger Work in
fairly well-defined situations has been important to the well-being of
many projects.

--
John Cowan  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com  jcowan at reutershealth.com
We want more school houses and less jails; more books and less arsenals;