For Approval: Open Source Software Alliance License

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sun Sep 28 01:52:07 UTC 2003

I'm sorry that I'm coming in late to this conversation but I've been busy.

I'm concerned about the following section of the proposed license:

4. Redistributions of source code must not be used in conjunction
   with any software license that requires disclosure of source
   code (ex: the GNU Public License, hereafter known as the GPL).

Licenses seem sometimes to be used as weapons rather than to foster freely
reusable code.  In this case, the author has made clear, he wants to allow
his software to be used with proprietary derivative works but not with the
GPL.  It is, I guess, the anti-GPL license.

In that sense, I think, it violates the OSD.

We have long agreed that a license can impose a reciprocity condition, for
example, "you may distribute copies of your derivative works to the public
as long as they are licensed under this same license."  That's in essence
what the GPL, Mozilla, IBM, CPL, and OSL licenses require.

This is not the same as a provision that reads "you may distribute copies of
your derivative works to the public as long as you don't use that other type
of license."

On 6/30/2003 Brian Behlendorf asked this list to consider a recent Microsoft
license provision that read as follows:

  [You agree] [t]hat you are not allowed to combine or distribute the
  Software with other software that is licensed under terms that seek to
  require that the Software (or any intellectual property in it) be
  provided in source code form, licensed to others to allow the creation
  or distribution of derivative works, or distributed without charge.

Once again, this is a license that says "don't use that license" rather than
"do use this license."  The former wording seems like discrimination to me
and the latter like any reciprocal license we've approved since the
beginning.

Is that a distinction without a difference?  Or should we assert that
licenses of the form "don't use that license" are contrary to the OSD
because they discriminate?

/Larry Rosen