For Approval: Open Source Software Alliance License

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sat Sep 27 15:00:12 UTC 2003

Sean Chittenden scripsit:

> > It so happens that my latest piece of free software was issued under
> > the Academic Free License.  I wound up dual-licensing it under the
> > GPL because the AFL's patent poison-pill is GPL-incompatible.
>
> AFL patent poison-pill?  -sc

The AFL says that if you sue the author of an AFL-licensed piece of
software under a software patent claim (related or not), you lose all
rights to that software.  This is an additional restriction beyond what
the GPL allows, so the FSF labels it "free but GPL-incompatible".

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/afl-2.0.php
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses

--
My confusion is rapidly waxing          John Cowan
For XML Schema's too taxing:            jcowan at reutershealth.com
    I'd use DTDs                        http://www.reutershealth.com
    If they had local trees --          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
I think I best switch to RELAX NG.