For Approval: Open Source Software Alliance License

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Thu Sep 25 04:21:45 UTC 2003

Ian Lance Taylor scripsit:

> That said, I don't see any reason why your license does not conform to
> the OSD.

I agree.

> >     3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
> >        should, in good faith, display the following acknowledgment:
> >     This product includes software developed by the <AUTHOR> and its contributors.
> >
> > Discussion: Non-legally binding clause that asks for recognition, but
> > isn't required.
>
> With regard to this clause, your discussion says that it does not
> require recognition, but a plain reading of the clause is that
> recognition is required if any features or use of the software are
> mentioned.  Which is it?

The former.  Note the presence of "should" rather than "must" or "shall".

> >     4. Redistributions of source code may not be used in conjunction
> >        with any software license that requires disclosure of source
> >        code (ex: the GNU Public License, hereafter known as the GPL).
>
> This is also not entirely clear.  Perhaps you mean something like
> ``this source code may not be relicensed under any software license
> which requires disclosure of source code.''

Technically, source code is not (cannot be) normally relicensed.
What is meant is that derivative works in non-textual form can't be
licensed under a copyleft license, for an appropriate definition of
"copyleft".

It would be better to word this "must not" rather than "may not", which
latter is subject to misreading.

--
John Cowan  jcowan at reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
If a soldier is asked why he kills people who have done him no harm, or a