Corba interfaces and GPL freedom

James Michael DuPont mdupont777 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 17 06:51:52 UTC 2003

--- Iain Barker <iain at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> The GPL FAQ clarifications from FSF attempt to extend the definition
> of what
> constitutes a derived work:
>
> "But if the semantics of the communication are intimate enough,
> exchanging
> complex internal data structures, that too could be a basis to
> consider the
> two parts as combined into a larger program."
>
> These extended definitions may be beyond what might be supported by
> Copyright law as a derived work, in which case there is a very real
> risk
> that the GPL would not  provide the intended protection for the free
> code.

This clause is just FUD. It is designed to scare away people from doing
so, and has no basis.

I wonder when that was added, It must have came after some big
discussion of the gcc mailing list.

> My view is that the freedom of the GPL code is reduced because at its
> most
> extreme, such an API could be added to the GPL code to export *all*
> of the
> functions for use by separate programs. The term Mr Perens used was
> "server-ized"

That is somehing that I am working on, the introspector is doing
something like that.

See my advogato article for more details :
http://www.advogato.org/article/701.html

I think this this is a valid topic, and I have been through it all
before.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont