Corba interfaces and GPL freedom

Iain Barker iain at member.fsf.org
Sat Sep 13 18:30:18 UTC 2003

I am concerned whether a Corba interface can be used by non-free software to
circumvent the freedoms and requirements of the GPL license. I realise "mere
aggregation" vs the definition of a copyright derived work is a complex
scenario, so I will try to keep my posting generic.

A proprietary vendor could create non-free software that functionally would
amount to a derived work, without actually making a derived work within the
meaning of copyright law. Would this break the spirit of the GPL while
complying with its terms, hence not be enforcable under copyright law?

I have seen the Corba 'serverizing' analogy discussed on this list, and have
looked around the FSF website for clarification but I don't see any position
statement from FSF addressing this issue. The nearest entry in the FSF
GPL-FAQ is the "pipes and sockets" definition, which suggests this form of
abstract inter-process communication is an acceptable mechanism for GPL
software to interwork with non-free modules.

I've also read the earlier icense-discuss postings of Mr Perens, Mr Stallman
and others regarding the use of Corba in this manner. The absence of a
position from the FSF appears to be potentially damaging the GPL community,
which risks losing freedom to the proponents of non-free software.

Here is an example of Corba 'serverizing':

A GPL application is modified by a vendor of non-free software, who adds a
Corba server API to the application. The vendor releases the source code to
the GPL application and modifications per the GPL terms.

The vendor then creates a non-free Corba client application which uses that
API but incorporates none of the GPL code. The source code to the client
application is not released by the vendor. Non-free applications could also
be used as Corba servers to a GPL client application in the same manner.

Essentially the freedom of the GPL codebase is reduced either way around.

Iain W. Barker, FSF member 336. iain at member.fsf.org
   Life's too short to compute on anything else