AT&T open source license FAQ

Kevin Mack kevmack at accesscomm.ca
Thu Oct 30 19:52:32 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 09:46:13AM -0800, Ernest Prabhakar wrote:
> On Oct 29, 2003, at 8:50 PM, Kevin Mack wrote:
> > Hello, I'm just trying out the ksh93 package and the FAQ at
> > http://www.research.att.com/sw/download says:
> >
> > "We believe that it conforms to the provisions of the Open
> > Source Definitions (OSD), and have submitted the license for
> > certification, but we have not heard back."
> >
> > What's the status?
>
> Has AT&T posted their license to this list for discussion?  I don't
> remember seeing it.  I thought that this list was required to review it
> before approval.
>
> Also, is there an online version of their license somewhere?   I wonder
> if its been cleaned up since the previous version I saw, and I'd rather
> not have to download their stuff without first seeing the license.
> Their "licenses" page just says there's lots of licenses, but doesn't
> even tell if you if there is a single AT&T license.
>
> -- Ernie P.

At http://www.research.att.com/sw/download I found a link to this
PDF:

http://www.research.att.com/~gsf/publications/open-2000-1.pdf

In the appendix is version 1.2D of the "AT&T AST OpenSource
Source Code Agreement".

It appears to be the same as the one at:

http://www.research.att.com/sw/license/ast-open.html

and in the package I downloaded.
(from http://www.research.att.com/~gsf/download/tgz/ast-base.2003-07-24.tgz)

Kevin