Implementing an Open Source License

Randy Pearson randyp at cycla.com
Sat Oct 18 17:55:05 UTC 2003

Hi all,

We have what seems like a simple question: Once you have selected a license,
how do you actually implement the process of making your product
open-source? I've looked around on the web site and not really found this
discussed, either in the FAQ or in the licenses themselves. More
specifically:

1. We are planning to use the Mozilla Public License (MPL) 1.1. On the
licensing page of the web site for our product, should we:

  a) simply state that the product is covered under the MPL license and
provide a hyperlink to mozilla.org;
  b) provide a verbatim copy the full MPL 1.1 license text; or
  c) take a verbatim copy and replace all the names with our own?

2. In the "Exhibit A" that we paste into each source code file, do we leave
the heading as "EXHIBIT A -Mozilla Public License" or do we provide our own
name?

3. In the distribution package, in addition to the source code, should we
provide an actual license file with the full text, or is the reference from
the Exhibit A text sufficient.

4. Most importantly, what act or acts comprise the legal creation of the
open source license? For example, if we do nothing more than put up a web
page stating the product is hereby licensed under the MPL, and make source
files (with Exhibit A) available for download, have we done all that is
required?

5. Related: Does it matter "who" does this? Say some developer without
management approval posted some code as OS, and then the company, upon
discovery, withdrew the license. What would the legal status be?

6. Is there a way to officially register your product as being licensed as
OS (such as with an external agency or clearinghouse)?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

-- Randy