OSD#5 needs a patch?

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Oct 9 18:33:43 UTC 2003

Brian,

Thanks.  I think a lot of your comments are valid.  I'd like to encourage
more comments from more people before I respond.  Believe it or not, in this
situation I'm not carrying water for any particular ideology and am trying
simply to act as a scribe with legal skills.  I'd seriously like to see us
clarify what we -- as a community -- mean by "discrimination" in ways that
lawyers won't find confusing or amateurish.  It is difficult for me, given
my personality, to strive for consensus without appearing to be domineering,
but I'll try.

By the way, the term "biological attribute" is not one I've seen in legal
writing before.  Here's how non-discrimination is defined in the California
Civil Code:

   § 51(b) All persons within the jurisdiction of this state are free and
   equal, and no matter what their sex, race, color, religion,
   ancestry, national origin, disability, or medical condition are
   entitled to the full and equal accommodations, advantages,
   facilities, privileges, or services in all business establishments of
   every kind whatsoever.

   § 51(c) This section shall not be construed to confer any right or
   privilege on a person that is conditioned or limited by law or that
   is applicable alike to persons of every sex, color, race, religion,
   ancestry, national origin, disability, or medical condition.

Of course, there's much more, including more categories of people singled
out for protection under California law, but why bore you with all that....
By coincidence, there's currently only one case I'm litigating in California
courts, and it happens to be a § 51 case against a business establishment (a
nursing home) for discrimination in admission on the basis of sex (they
discriminated against a man).  :-)

/Larry Rosen