OSD#5 needs a patch?

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Thu Oct 9 16:45:42 UTC 2003

Lawrence E. Rosen wrote:
> Chuck Swiger wrote:
>> In particular, I'd disagree with the "field of endeavor" clause if it is
>> to be applied to exclude software under a "free source but
>> no-commercial-redistribution" license from being OSD-compliant.
>
> Such licenses are not OSD-compliant.  They've been repeatedly rejected.

So they have, but I still see value in the OSD even if it is flawed.

Someone recently made a comment that the GPL will always be an OSD-approved
license regardless of what the actual definitions are; if true, what does this
imply if there exists privileged licenses that are not being evaluated on
their merits against the OSD definitions as they are written?

What happens if a proposed license is compliant with the OSD, yet conflicts
with the GPL?  Would it be accurate to say that a fair number of people
criticised Sean not on the merits of his license vis-a-vis the OSD, but for it
being "anti-GPL"?  The OSD as written today is largely license-neutral, and it
concerns me when people want to change the OSD to prefer some licenses over
others.

--
-Chuck