OSD#5 needs a patch?

Bruce Dodson bruce_dodson at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 9 00:22:23 UTC 2003

Okay, I guess I see that.

I didn't see it as entirely a case of moral positioning.
In the example that I created, if I were a member of
<ethnic group>, I would feel like I were not as welcome
to use the software as others are.  Moreover, depending
on what exactly was said, I might also find it repulsive
to propagate the message by redistributing the program,
whether I am a member of <ethnic group> or not.

Thus it seemed to me that, when a licensor tries to
discourage a person or group from using the software, it
shouldn't matter whether they are trying to accomplish that
through legal force or through insults and intimidation.

However, I realize that argument must seem a little fuzzy,
and perhaps a little too idealistic as well, for all of you
lawyers :-).

Thanks,
Bruce