I give up...

jacobus.vosloo at daimlerchrysler.com jacobus.vosloo at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Nov 20 17:38:17 UTC 2003

I am having a hard time trying to find the right open source license for a
project I am working on.

History:
For the past 6 months I have been trying to find a good open source license
to develop my code with, but the more licenses I see, the more confusing it
becomes? :-(

I am trying to convince my manager to develop a specific component as open
source.  The problem is that this component will be used in and/or included
into many projects that's code must stay proprietary and secret.
It will also be used by a group of open source programmers inside their
potentially GNU GPL licensed software.
As far as possible I want to avoid licensing it differently for the
involved parties. I.e. no dual license

I would have loved to make it LGPL but the component will not be linked in
as a library but as files and code fragments.

I looked at the BSD license, but the clause below make me unsure.
The proprietary product that will depend on this component must be released
under it's own license completely.

>From the BSD license
>Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
this list of
>conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other
materials provided
>with the distribution.

I will greatly appreciate any pointers regarding OSS approved licenses.

Regards

Jacobus Vosloo
Application Integrator for .Net
Invision - DaimlerChrysler - East-London - South Africa
Email: jacobus.vosloo at daimlerchrysler.com
Tel: +27 43 706 2477
Fax: +27 43 706 2612
Cell: +27 83 361 3203

except where stated otherwise.
Emails can contain viruses; make sure your system is protected before
opening any attached files.