mpeg-4 patent or license... help needed

Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet galactus at stack.nl
Tue May 27 15:45:31 UTC 2003

Anupam Anand wrote:
> can someone please put light on the mpeg-4 patent for me. does this
> patent imply that people can not use any system that uses or produces
> mpeg-4 in anyway.

Well, there's no single "mpeg-4 patent". There are several patents
in quite a few countries that cover certain technologies which
you need if you want to encode or decode MPEG-4. So in those
countries you need a license under those patents if you want to
make, use or sell (distribute) an MPEG-4 encoder or decoder.

> also, it seems that philips is promoting  mpeg-4 based systems.
> basically, i am confused. i was about to get a webcast delivery system
> made when i came across this "mpeg-4 patent" issue.

MPEG licensing is not handled just by Philips. You should
go to MPEG LA (licensing association) if you want more
information, or if you want to obtain a license the easy way.

http://www.mpegla.com/

Kind regards,

Arnoud Engelfriet

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself