For approval: ENCUL

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri May 23 21:29:54 UTC 2003

Interesting point, Mark, but I don't think your references to trademark
distinctiveness apply even if we could prove it factually.

The mark "Open Source" was intended not as a trademark but as a
certification mark, meaning it was to be applied to third parties' goods
under the authority and control of OSI.  But as everyone keeps pointing
out, the mark "open source" has been applied by lots of companies to
lots of goods without any blessing by OSI.  How do we (or anyone else)
now claim ownership of such a certification mark?

We simply don't have that problem with the certification mark "OSI
Certified" as applied to open source software.  OSI owns it, we have
owned it since the beginning, and we have no intention of relinquishing
it.

If any attorneys on this list have any suggestions to get around this
problem, I'm all ears.

/Larry Rosen
General counsel, Open Source Initiative
Rosenlaw & Einschlag, a technology law firm
3001 King Ranch Road
Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242 * fax: 707-485-1243
lrosen at rosenlaw.com