For approval: ENCUL

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Fri May 23 19:20:34 UTC 2003

Hello, readers of license-discuss:

Thank you for your time and responses to the proposed license.

Perhaps it would be most useful to acknowledge the points that several
people have brought up, before I reply to comments from a specific
individual.

I've had about a half-dozen people tell me that "ENCUL" is an acronym
that has strong connotations in French.  J'ai etudie' la langue francais
pour trois ans, mais je comprende plus bien que je parle.  Trouvez le
bon mot, c'est difficile pour moi de temps en temps.

In the event that deferring to French sensibilities is in the interests
of polite conversation-- I'll defer consideration of whether an
OSI-approved licensed named "ENCUL" would be more or less likely to be
used *because* of the name :-)-- yes, I'm willing to change it.
Suggestions for an innocuous name would be appreciated.

	--

Someone else observed that there was some degree of ambiguity.  I would
agree, and state that this is by intention, not by omission.  A good

Beyond that, sometimes the attempt to define things precisely is
counterproductive.  If you write a license cotaining a detailed list of
ten specific things which someone can (or can't do), and they find an
eleventh which wasn't covered, the end result often fails to be an
improvement over writing a license covering the general case.

An author by the name of L.E. Modesitt discussed the example of who owns
the apples that fall from your apple tree over the fence into your
neighbors yard.  And what happens when someone makes specific case law
about this in one place, only that conflicts with specific case law in
another place-- or about fruit falling from trees in general, not just
apple trees-- etc, etc.

	--

Finally, for the sake of discussion: would software under any closed
license (or not available at all, aka "unplublished trade secret"),

-Chuck

PS: I am subscribed to the list, so CC:ing me is not necessary.