Licensing Model: open downstream apps or proprietary license

Mitchell Baker Mitchell at osafoundation.org
Fri Mar 28 01:21:00 UTC 2003

Ian

The  goals are to be a broadly adopted, high-quality PIM on all
platforms, and to ensure that Chandler is always available on an open
source basis to those who want it.  We also hope to generate a piece of
the funding that will be necessary to make Chandler development
self-sufficient.  OSAF is a non-profit organization, so there is no
"return on investment" goal.  But we do need a way to sustain ourselves.

Your point that a database is much more likely to be distributed as part
of a larger application is very well taken.  The potential revenue for
Chandler may be much smaller since it is intended as a useful
application in and of itself.  On the other hand, we're not looking for
big profits, only self-sufficiency.  I am acutely interested in any
ideas for a different focus which you might have.

Mitchell