Defense against Patents

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sat Mar 22 01:00:27 UTC 2003

Eben,

As usual, we have more in common than we have differences.  We both seek
to protect the free and open source software community from patent
litigation.  But I think it is you that is underestimating our ability
to use GPL-style restrictions to provide that shield.

I'm sorry now that I accepted your initial hypothetical.  If we demonize
Microsoft in this discussion we'll just waste everyone's time.  Instead,
we should consider *any* patent holder alleging that our software
infringes its patent.  It could, for example, be HP alleging that we
infringe their patents rather than Microsoft suing HP.  The fact is
that, with so many patents being issued (yes, most are bogus; sing it
the world, but that makes little difference to the equation) and so much
software being written, it is inevitable that company X will allege that
free software infringes patent P.

You argued that "Those who want royalties don't sue independent
developers because the costs of suit exceed by orders of magnitude the
available gains."  That ignores the reality that the cost of a patent
suit against someone who has no money to defend is minimal.  You won't
be facing art pulled from searches all over the world, you won't be
faced with depositions all over the place, you won't be faced with
experts who have to be deposed, etc. -- all, of course, due to the
defendant's lack of $$$.

[Just yesterday I got a call from an open source developer facing a
cease-and-desist letter from a big company over a business method
patent.  That person can't afford any defense whatsoever, even at my
discounted rates!  He's simply going to withdraw his GPL-licensed
software from the market.  The cost of that patent litigation was a $.37
stamp and a free 1/2 hour attorney consultation.]

I'm not influenced in any way by a private remark by a Microsoft
strategist that they won't sue "garage inventors."  That promise is not
worth the paper it should have been printed on, and it doesn't obligate
anyone, not even Microsoft, to truly leave our developers alone.

The comparison to DeCSS is also inappropriate.  The last thing this
community needs is a series of such lawsuits in which court decisions
drive our software underground.  I want companies like HP and IBM and
many others to use and distribute free and open source software with
confidence and not to sneak it off the Internet in the dead of night.

I understand that Microsoft would be foolish to sue its own customers.
That again highlights my mistake in accepting your hypothetical naming
Microsoft.  Company X may be willing to sue Microsoft's customers, or
IBM's customers, or HP's customers, if by doing so it protects its
patent monopoly.  You asked: "When was the last time you saw a
patent-holder trying to collect royalties from consumers?"  I've heard
it happens all the time.  In the past, most consumers (e.g., customers
of the software licensor) in such situations sought indemnity from their
large vendors or otherwise stopped buying and using infringing goods.  I
don't want that to happen to free and open source software.

So let's bring this back-and-forth to a close.  We both agree that a
comprehensive and effective patent defense strategy is needed.  We
disagree about the effectiveness of the GPL defense strategy -- but at
least we have GPL § 7 in our favor for some things.  Let's now encourage
discussion to go beyond that provision to a working patent defense
provision that will cut our enemies off at the knees.

/Larry Rosen