Please add "Public Domain" to "license" list

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Tue Mar 18 00:42:13 UTC 2003

begin  Rick Moen Lives Three Hours from Nowhere  quotation:
> These attitudes are extremely common among programmers, outside the
> core open-source community:  They typically announce no licence
> permissions, believing in error that thus releasing code makes it
> public domain.  When you explain the truth to them, and advise them
> on why they should at least specify MIT/X or two-clause BSD, they
> nonetheless want "public domain" anyway -- with all uncertainties
> and needless legal liability entailed -- basically because they
> don't want to think about the subject, and assume simpler is better.

	Again, a tangent from the peanut gallery.

	It's probably been mentioned here before (possibly even by
me), but the FSF's license compliance department has blessed the
phrase "DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT" to be a Free Software License.

	I may have the details slightly wrong, but the example serves
as a two-beer pub tale for how simple a true open source license can
strive to be.