Please add "Public Domain" to "license" list

'Rick Moen' rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 17 06:25:20 UTC 2003

Quoting Greg Pomerantz (gmp at alumni.brown.edu):

> How about this one: Hadady v. Dean Witter, 739 F. Supp. 1392 (C.D. Cal
> 1990). Plaintiff published a newsletter from 1985 to 1987 with a notice
> that said: "The information contained in this letter is protected by
> U.S. copyright laws through noon EST on the 2d day after its release . .
> ." The Court held that the notice was effective to cause an abandonment
> of plaintiff's copyright after two days despite the fact that the notice
> was not defective.

Perhaps I haven't been paying adequate attention to posted details, but
I'm unclear on whether "abandonment" in this context means the original
owner ceasing to own title (what I suspect), or the original owner being
judged to have destroyed title to the property entirely.  Only the
latter seems relevant to the foregoing discussion.  Perhaps you could
clarify?

--
Cheers,                    Higgledy-Piggledy / Kibo Ubiquitous,
Rick Moen                  Greps for his name in the / Happynet spool.