Open Source Business Found Parasitic, and the ADCL

John R. Strohm strohm at airmail.net
Sun Mar 16 00:50:55 UTC 2003

Go read the General Public License.  Go read Richard Stallman's extensive
writings on the philosophy of and behind Free Software.  You clearly do not
understand what he was trying to do, and why.

Understanding Stallman's work on Free Software is FUNDAMENTAL to
understanding the bastardization of his concept that is "Open Source".
Until you understand what Stallman was trying to do, you will not understand
where and why the "Open Source" advocates are retreating.

I'll give you a starting point.  Stallman saw binary-only distribution of
proprietary software hamper the ongoing work at the MIT AI Lab.  In the
early days, the source code was always available, and, as a direct result,
people could fix things when they got broken.  In later days, without the
source code, it was impossible to fix the problems.

Further.  Stallman wrote the original version of Emacs, and gave a copy to
someone else.  That person SOLD that copy to a third party, and the third
party, believing that they had the rights, came back to Stallman and told
him to cease-and-desist infringing on their property.  Unfortunately,
Stallman being a graduate student (that term generally being synonymous with
"poverty-stricken") did not have the funds to retain an attorney and fight
the matter.

These experiences radicalized Stallman, and started him on his crusade.  He
would write software, give it to the world, and require that anyone who did
anything useful with his software ALSO give it to the world.