Optimal license for Java projects ...

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Sat Mar 15 04:51:10 UTC 2003

On Friday 14 March 2003 08:03 pm, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> Obviously you are correct that nobody took away the original free
> code.  But this is an example of a proprietary fork in which
> end-users suffered.  They could not incorporate improvements to the
> free X Window system code on their own systems, because they were not
> able to build their own servers.  I was one of those people myself,
> so it's not purely abstract.

I forgot about that one. You'll have to forgive my shaky memory, because
the obvious success of the free versions tends to eclipse the others. I
think that OpenWindows and MetroX are the only others still in the
running. OpenWindows is platform specific and MetroX seems to be
relegated to specialty niches. (The Windows based X servers are a
different category IMO).

What caused the previous preponderance of incompatible proprietary X
implementations? I would point the finger not at the license but at the
Open Group, who could never make up their mind if they wanted the code
to be free or not. It seems to me that they actually encouraged
proprietary forks. But one thing that didn't happen was a fork of the
standard itself. You can read about those that tried it in the history
books. In this the MIT (not BSD) license was successful.

--
David Johnson