Compatibility of the AFL with the GPL

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sat Mar 15 03:39:30 UTC 2003

Russ,

Sorry to have to knock that leg of the chair out from under you, but I
actually believe that the AFL license *does* apply to the portion of a
derivative work that consists of the work originally licensed under the
AFL.  Eben and I agree on that.  So really, there are two licenses that
the licensee is operating under, the GPL and the AFL.  This is because
the AFL-licensed software is not sublicenseable.  It remains under its
original license, even though the combination (e.g., collective or
derivative work) is under the GPL.

What is important is to determine whether the mutual defense provision
in the AFL makes the two licenses incompatible.  But I'm convinced it
really doesn't.  Assume someone sues the AFL program for patent
infringement.  Even before one can raise the AFL mutual defense clause
to stop distribution of the AFL component of the GPL program, the GPL
program automatically can't be distributed because of section 7 of the
GPL.  The AFL mutual defense pass-through is just icing on the cake.
The two licenses are more compatible than some people have realized.

That's why the term "compatibility" has been such a sore point for me.
You can't just look at the plain language of the licenses, you have to
think through the legal effects of the combination of the language of
two licenses.  Of course the mutual defense provision isn't in the GPL.
That is, literally, an incompatibility of words.  But the end result is
the same whether the AFL passes-through or not.

/Larry Rosen