What about LGPL? Re: Compatibility of the AFL with the GPL

Rod Dixon rodd at cyberspaces.org
Fri Mar 14 15:14:37 UTC 2003

I realize that this question was specifically addressed to Larry and RMS,
but please permit me to press my point once more since I am beginning to
recognize that despite the reputation of lawyers for over-complicating
matters, computer scientists seem to suffer from the same affliction. The
final question the poster posed about his project is entirely unrelated to
the initial quoted concern whether "the AFL is incompatible with the GPL?"
It might be easier to address these matters if the dynamic/static linking
questions and the LGPL are left independent from the generalized concern
about the AFL and GPL. Most importantly, in my opinion, the resolution of
what it means to say that one license is "incompatible" with another
should not be construed as resolving any specific legal question about a
particular project. You are quite likely to make wrong conclusions by
performing that type of mental gymnastics, if you are not a lawyer. For
example, although Andrew limited his question to a matter of interpreting
a couple of software licenses, the fact is his question implicitly
requires an application of copyright law as well; hence, any posted answer
merely addressing the LGPL is incomplete and one would be foolish to
follow. I provide this precaution in order to constructively pose how one
should read our discussions, which tend toward both
over-complicated queries and oversimiplied answers, but not necessarily in
that order.

-Rod