Open Source Business Found Parasitic, and the ADCL

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 14 06:37:25 UTC 2003

Quoting David Johnson (david at usermode.org):

> I've listened to both sides of the argument. One side says "you can't
> make any money selling Open Source Software" and the other side says
> "yes you can make lots of money selling Open Source Software." Well,
> BOTH sides are chowderheads!

Entirely possible if not likely -- but you've just changed the subject.

The original gentleman (maa at liacc.up.pt) claimed that "Most open source
licenses, including GPL, simply forbid selling the software", and that
the OSD's "no discrimination against fields of endeavour" clause
requires businesses to "either sell to all recipients... or give away to
all [covered software]".

Speaking for myself, I merely pointed out that these statements are
objectively wrong, and suggested that he read more carefully.

Did I correctly understand that he also posted some sort of draft
licence, and suggested that the OSD be altered to accomodate it?  Well,
at least the licence inclusion is a step forward from the last guy.

--
Cheers,                                      "My file system's got no nodes!"
Rick Moen                                    "How does it shell?"
rick at linuxmafia.com