Compatibility of the AFL with the GPL

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Wed Mar 12 20:36:39 UTC 2003

Answers interspersed.  /Larry

If C sues A for patent infringement, C can no longer copy, modify or
distribute W, or W+X, or W', because his license to do those things with
W is terminated.

If C sues B for patent infringement, A doesn't care.  Unless, of course,
B licenses using the Mutual Defense provision, in which case A and B
defend each other by terminating both licenses!

> If so, and if X is under the GPL, then W' cannot lawfully be
> created, because it is a derivative of two works with
> contradictory licensing terms.

What's contradictory?  I agree there is an encumbrance based on the
license for W, but it is a contingent encumbrance that becomes effective
only when C elects to sue A for patent infringement.  Nothing in the GPL
prohibits such a contingent termination provision for a component of a
GPL-licensed derivative work.  In any case, the licensee can read about
those contingencies via the license notices in the source code.  (In
case you were wondering, section 7 of the GPL doesn't apply to this
situation.)

> If not, I suggest a sentence be added to the AFL saying that
> the M.T.P.A. clause is expressly inapplicable to derivative
> works unless the work as a whole is licensed under a license
> containing the M.T.P.A.  (More gracefully worded, preferably.)

I don't think the added wording is necessary because the AFL *is*
compatible with the GPL.

/Larry