Ethics (OT) (was Re: Antiwar License)

Rodrigo Barbosa rodrigob at tisbrasil.com.br
Tue Mar 4 04:21:23 UTC 2003

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 08:09:21PM -0800, Sergey Goldgaber wrote:
> > And the current pending war is hardly the only issue that people
> > are concerned about. Consider the state that software would be in
> > if every possible issue were raised in a license.
>
> Yes, it is always possible that people everywhere will
> restrict software use based on their ethics.  This may not
> be a positive result from a utilitarian perspective of
> deriving maximum use from software (pesky ethics have a knack
> for just getting in the way), but for those who act in
> an ethical manner this result will be desirable.
>
> Your concerns may be about "the state of software", but mine
> is about whether my work will be used to kill.  A concern
> with a prevalance of ethical licenses causing havoc on
> the the usefullness of software can not be a primary
> one for me.

Why don't you simply keep your software private. If you avoid
distributing it, you can be 100% certain it will not be used
to support war.

As we said before, you can't enforce this kind of license. So,
your only choise is to simply DON'T distribute your software.

 Rodrigo Barbosa                   - rodrigob at tisbrasil.com.br
 TIS 				   - Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
 "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"  - http://www.tisbrasil.com.br/
 Brainbench Certified -> Transcript ID #3332104