Antiwar License

Sergey Goldgaber sgoldgaber at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 3 01:54:30 UTC 2003

A recent Slashdot article, "U.S. Army's Future Combat System Will Run
Linux",
http://slashdot.org/articles/03/03/02/0216215.shtml?tid=103&tid=163
has made me wonder if there could be some way to prevent the military
from using software that you release as open source.

Some licenses allow free use of the author's software by private
individuals and non-profits, but require a fee to be paid by
corporations.  Along similar lines, wouldn't it be possible to create a
license prohibiting the use of one's software by the military, the
Defense Department, and military contractors?

In addition to helping make sure that the work you do does not
contribute to murder (in some direct or even indirect fashion), an
Antiwar License would be a powerful political statement that I believe
could catch on rather quickly in the current atmosphere of protest.

However, INAL, and was wondering if any of the more experienced people
on this list think this is a feasable idea, or perhaps could even
suggest some possible wordings that such a license could use.

  --Sergey