License Differences

Alex Black enigma at turingstudio.com
Tue Jun 24 01:51:38 UTC 2003

Hi all,

Is there a good comparative summary of LGPL and MPL? I run a project which
is approaching wide release. We're currently under the LGPL and could easily
get consent to switch if everyone likes the MPL.

However, I have seen conflicting information and I'd like people's opinions
on MPL vs. LGPL - that's __L__GPL - not GPL.

As far as I can tell, LGPL currently satisfies our requirements:

    -People like and are fairly familiar with it
    -It allows the code to be used in a commercial environment so long as:
        -"our" code that is modified or improved is contributed back
        -the product is not sold standalone, period.
            (i.e. You cant do cvs co, burn to cd and sell for $1k :)
    -It can be combined with GPL code for certain uses
    -Any redistributed version of the software must include source dist
        -- not such a problem as it's PHP
    -Must include a patent license (not so worried about this)

It's not clear to me what advantages the MPL offers, which is why I query
this list.

Also, to complicate the whole picture, my company (me, basically) owns a US
trademark on the name - "binarycloud" - which I got to be able to protect
the project if needed. This is a bit paranoid since there are basically 20
people and organizations using it in production right now, but we expect
after release that the numbers will grow quite rapidly. Also, I'm starting
to use the system for very large scale projects, now - thus my prerelease
thinking.

Thanks for any advice,

:)

_alex