Updated license - please comment

Christophe Dupre duprec at scorec.rpi.edu
Thu Jun 19 02:55:25 UTC 2003

Hello Mark,
I've just re-read the OSD document, and I'm not sure we read the same
one. You claim that 2a and 2d are unacceptable and violate OSD#3.
OSD#3 is not violated: you can change the code, you can distribute those
modifications. #3 doesn't say that it needs to be completely
unrestricted. In particular, anyone could decide to fork the code and
maintain their own tree.

2(d) is important IMHO, and prevents modifications that would cause the
library to become a hollow shell, a wrapper around a closed source library.

One library that would be released is a finite element mesh database.
Suppose that someone has a nice but closed source library that provides
attachable data capabilities. That someone might want to be able to
attach data to mesh entities, but that would require hooks in the
library which would call the closed source facilities. Even if the
changes are released as opensource, they are useless without the closed
source library, and as such would not be acceptable. The LGPL has the
same limitation probably for the same reason.

OSD#6 refers to type of users (commercial, business, religious zealot)
and fields of endeavour (biotech research, gaming, CAD, etc). Our
license has no such limitation, and 2(a) seems to have nothing to do
with OSD#6.

For OSD#8, as far as I know 'software library' is not a specific
product. The license doesn't restrict the covered software to be part of
a specific distribution (or prevent the software from being packaged in
a distribution). The license would allow Red Hat to package the library
in Red Hat Linux v11 if they so wish. The software distributed under
this license would not be part of any specific distribution, or package,
so OSD#8 doesn't seem to apply.

I think you're ready a bit too much in the open source definition.