commercial application development

Miller, Aaron miller at cookbiotech.com
Wed Jun 4 21:58:10 UTC 2003

I have searched and searched online for an explanation to this question, so
if I have missed a faq that details this please accept my apology and point
me in the right direction.

My question concerns using perl, perl::dbi, mysql, postgres, etc to develop
commercial applications.  Can an application be written in perl and use a
mysql/postgres datastore without the requirement of releasing the
application code?  There would be no modifications made to the installed
versions of these applications.  An example would be a CGI frontend to a DB.
An explanation from a license perspective(GPL/LGPL/Artistic License/etc)
rather than an application by application perspective would be appreciated.

Thank you for your help.