license idea (revised)

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Wed Jul 16 21:52:32 UTC 2003

Ryo Chijiiwa scripsit:

> On 7/16/2003, "Mark Rafn" <dagon at dagon.net> wrote:
>
> >I don't think that most agree that the requirement to give source and
> >distribution rights to all users is an acceptible solution.
>
> Perhaps my interpretation of the GPL is incorrect, but I thought that was
> one of the basic requirements in that license.

No.  The GPL requires only that anyone who gets a modified binary gets
modified source as well.  It does not require that you deliver modified
source to anyone on demand.  I may make changes to my GPLed software, and
as long as I don't distribute the binary, I can keep the source to myself.

--
John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com