is it just summertime?

Mitchel Sonies mitch.sonies at frameworx.com
Wed Jul 9 16:40:18 UTC 2003

>I'm also a little confused by (3b).   Isn't fair market value usually
>determined by what people are willing to pay?   Or are they reserving
>for themselves the right to determine if there is a market inefficiency
>creating non-equilibrium conditions?

This is addressed in the comment to the license.  It is a new provision, but I think it plugs a loophole in the whole licensing schema, and I wonder why it's never been addressed before.  I think small open vendor A is probably saying that Monopoly X shouldn't be able to take the code base, do nothing more than slap the "X" brand label on it and charge a lot of money simply because they advertise their brand on television.   That may be "efficient" in the sense that people pay for brands, but it may not result in better software, more competition, more innovation or better options for users, etc.  I think the point is that you want distributors to charge for true value-added services, not sham offerings.  I don't know why all the A's out there aren't more worried about this.

You're right that this provision could be subject to abuse, but it may be a fair trade-off to make.  But I think providing some contractual right to go after clear "sham" offerings will just make potential sham offerors think twice.  This would be expensive to enforce, so unless A is really really big (I assume they're not), I don't think they have the unilateral right to impose unnatural equilibria on the market, in large part because the legal fees would probably be a lousy investment.