Open source and trademarks

Don Jarrell don at digitalthinkinginc.com
Sun Jul 6 19:21:14 UTC 2003

OK, first, IANAL, TINLA, TSNBCAUPL.  (I am not a lawyer,
this is not legal advice, this should not be construed
as unlicensed practice of law).

What I offer is business commentary, that is, what I
would do in my business in these circumstances, or
what I would advise my business consulting clients
in these circumstances.  As such, I won't answer your
last 2 questions directly.

I will mention the frequent misunderstanding that
many people have about trademark usage.  You describe
HappySoft(TM) as a product or program.  Think of
trademarks as ADJECTIVES, describing a noun.  So, your
hypothetical product might be HappySoft(TM) communication
software.

The practical interpretation of seeing a trademark,
copyright legend, or section of source code in a
delineated section of an Open Source work, attributed
to someone other than you, is that all of that was
placed there by the appropriate party - in this case,
someone "upstream" from you.  Open Source authors are
expected to delineate and mark their contributions,
and the copyright holder shown in the legend can
definitely be a business name that might also be the
subject of a trademark.  From a practical position,
you would be doing what I and my clients have done
repeatedly without encountering any problems.

On other matters, there are several relationships
between products regarding compatibility or dependence
that cross company lines, but still need to be conveyed
to the marketplace and potential licensees/buyers/users.
If someone makes a factual statement that "YaySoft(TM)
celebration manager is based upon HappySoft(TM)
communication software", and gives attribution for the
use of HappySoft, then that is proper and normal business
and marketing communication.  This is similar to the
ever-popular "powered by" usage, which may or may not be
based on some kind of agreement.  This assumes that even
this sort of communication has not been somehow prohibited,
and for that, you should discuss the matter with an attorney.

I hope this helps.  I'm sure several of the attorneys on
the list can provide further answers and, perhaps, legal
advice - if that is what you require.

Cheers.     dj

Don B Jarrell                don at digitalthinkinginc.com
Digital Thinking Inc.        512 266 7126        office
www.digitalthinkinginc.com   972 467 6793        mobile