from advogato, open source licenses revokable?

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sun Jan 26 04:30:39 UTC 2003

Because of the very confusion that is reflected in the discussion you
referred to, my two new licenses (the Open Software License and the
Academic Free License) make "perpetual" grants.  I believe in being
explicit.

Note that, for public policy reasons, under the Copyright Act all
licenses are terminable "at any time during a period of five years
beginning at the end of thirty-five years from the date of execution of
the grant...."  17 U.S.C. 203(a)(3).  This is true even if the license
states that it is "perpetual."  Even in that rare situation, though,
derivative works prepared before termination may continue to be used but
no additional derivative works may be created.

/Larry Rosen

	http://advogato.org/article/606.html

Can anyone comment in a more definitive way on this issue? There seems
to be
some confusion, and I'd like to get a good answer for a client of mine.

Thanks.

--
Alex Russell
alex at netWindows.org