OSD Model Code -- Article 1 (Free Distribution)

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rdixon at cyberspaces.org
Wed Jan 22 00:06:46 UTC 2003

I suppose I read the OSD as setting up a guideline ABOUT the distribution of
aggregate software (Art. 1) while the GPL essentially excludes aggregated
software from its terms; the latter is a negation of scope of applicability
while the former is a shall not restrict.

"In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the Program
with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a volume of
a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other work under
the scope of this License."

Hence, under the GPL, whether a mere aggregation constitutes a compilation
depends upon the facts. This is an entirely distinct matter from art. 1 of
the OSD, which does not limit its scope in the same manner as the quoted
excerpt from the GPL. Larry's proposed change would solve this problem by
taking the OSD out of the aggregate software business, which essentially
puts us closer to the GPL.

Rod