[redhat-ccm-list] Re: Red Hat CCMPL and exclusive for-pay maintenance releases

Jun Yamog goldfish at i-manila.com.ph
Tue Jan 21 04:16:06 UTC 2003

Hi Florian,

I would like to give my opinion as an outsider from Red Hat.  I believe
what you have said maybe correct / legally right (not sure, I am
developer).  But from a business sense I think Red Hat may not yet be
able to give the latest and greatest source.  Due to the fact in my
opinion the CCM group of RH is still figuring out the best way to make
business in OSS.  Think of this scenario:

RH releases the latest source code:
- If potential support client has enough developer resources to make all
customization in house.  RH will loose potential revenue to continue
development of CCM.
-OR-
- Way back in the days of ACS (Tcl), aD is the dominant company and I
don't think any company in the world has enough talent in aolserver
(except AOL).  They are confident that they will retain the top company
to develop ACS.  Now that CCM (ACS Java) is now using more mainstream
technology, a bigger company can become the top CCM company rather than
Red Hat.  And Red Hat who invested initially a good deal will loose the
potential top deals.

Of course with the current way of supporting the community there are
side effects, such as:

- the community feeling being cheated since they do not have the latest
and greatest source.  It shows in previous threads and now this thread.
- contributors are unable to contribute using the latest API.  Nick Ager
for one has expressed that he would like to upgrade his Calendar module
and use 5.2 API.
- bug fixing is made more complex as some bugs present in the public
code is already fixed in the internal code.

CCM is a bit different from Linux or Apache.  Where in CCM was born out
of a company's investment formerly aD and now RH.  Although I have to
add that OpenACS community was able to make a community around ACS Tcl
code base.  As of now in my opinion we should ask Red Hat more support
for the community like getting the source code in a public CVS.  But too
much pressure may make RH change the license and/or RH decides that CCM
is not a good business and drops it.  I am more willing to have a less
ideal community support by RH and give RH the chance to move into a more
community friendly stance.  Of course is taking very long already, but
then it might be highly possible that the CCM group is not getting big
support from RH.  After all RH bread and butter is not CCM.

I just hope we the community and RH can work things out for the better.
There are already some people who have volunteered help and I hope RH
does take some of the help.

Jun