Specific Scenario: App A, API B, & Library C

Ihab Awad ihab at ahc.umn.edu
Mon Jan 20 21:48:45 UTC 2003

Hi Reggie,

I have been thinking of posting your *exact* message for a week or two now;
thank you for doing so, and in such clear terms.

On Monday 20 January 2003 13:18, reggiehg at yahoo.com wrote:
> b) end-user - App A, API B, and Library C. By
> explicitly configuring Library C into App A, the
> end-user is bound by Library C's license, although
> that usually doesn't matter to an end-user.

Uh-huh. Yeah, that's my sticking point. I would further ask the question -- if
there is a "configuration file" that I ship with my A/B/C combo, that
specifically configures App A to use Library C, then does that in and of
itself constitute a "derivation"?

Say Library C is a JDBC driver. API B is the JDBC API. App A is a Java app
that uses JDBC.

In configuring App A, I add a line to a configuration file saying --

  useJDBCDriver=org.freedrivers.DriverC

to what extent does or does this not constitute "derivation" of the work from
library C, rather than merely API B?

Thanks Reggie. I look forward to the comments. Peace,

--
Ihab A.B. Awad
FavaBeans.org