For Approval: Panda3D Public License Version 1.0

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rdixon at cyberspaces.org
Wed Dec 24 03:12:25 UTC 2003

Although we are discussing the specific terms of a particular license, of
course, my comments are not meant to constitute or substitute for legal
advice.

The Panda3D license makes a much better license template than the APSL; even
in revised form, the APSL is wordy and less than clear at times. I think
your lawyer did a good job.

I think this license will warrant OSD approval; I have a couple suggestions,
however.

Clause 1 appears to be your mutual assent clause. Good. I would suggest,
however, that the last sentence couple sentences be clearly written in the
conjunctive or disjunctive (I suspect the drafter meant to use the
disjunctive).

Clause 6 (the treaded anti-advertising clause) is understandable, but is it
really needed? If there is no implied or explicit right to use a Disney
trademark or service mark anyway, why is the clause necessary? The
anti-advertising clauses have been a source of discontent with free software
folks, but I do not think the OSD strictly applies.

(Minor point here) Clause 7 is informative, but it says nothing about the
relations between licensor and licensee; hence, I am not sure it warrants
the prominence of an entire clause of the body of the license.

Clause 8 is unclear after the first sentence, which is probably all that is
needed. Sublicensing?

I feel obligated to mention that using approved OSI licenses as useful
templates in drafting makes good sense, but as touchstones does not.

Rod

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M.