For Approval: CUA Office Public License

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Mon Dec 22 01:57:43 UTC 2003

Danese Cooper scripsit:

> "3.1 Application of License.
> The Source Code version of Original Code may be distributed only under
> the terms of this License or a future version of this License released
> under Section 6.1, and You must include a copy of this License with
> every copy of the Source Code You distribute. You may not offer or
> impose any terms on any Source Code version that alters or restricts the
> applicable version of this License or the recipients' rights hereunder..."

I read that passage as saying that you can't redistribute copies of the
source with the SISSL hiked off and another license applied.  But cf.
Section 3.4:

"You may create a Larger Work by combining Original Code with other code
not governed by the terms of this License and distribute the Larger Work
as a single product. In such a case, You must make sure the requirements
of this License are fulfilled for the Original Code."

There seem to be no restrictions whatever (not imposed by the "other code")
on the license for this Larger Work, as long as you don't try to impose
invalid restrictions on the SISSLed code.  The SISSL-GPL issue is because
of the GPL, which explicitly imposes itself on all derivative works.

--
I suggest you call for help,                    John Cowan
or learn the difficult art of mud-breathing.    jcowan at reutershealth.com
        --Great-Souled Sam                      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan