Viral licenses (was: wxWindows library...)

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Sat Dec 13 23:57:37 UTC 2003

> If you "accidentally" insert GPL code in it, your work does not
> automatically become GPL, nor will you be forced to use the GPL, since you
> will always have the choice of removing the code you inserted.

I think a lot of the reason people think the GPL is viral in this sense is the
following clause from the GPL:

# Therefore, by
# modifying or distributing the Program (or any work based on the
# Program), you indicate your acceptance of this License to do so, and
# all its terms and conditions for copying, distributing or modifying
# the Program or works based on it.

Of course, that is not correct.  By modifying or distributing the program,
you're not necessarily accepting the license.  You're *either* accepting the
license *or* committing a copyright violation (that can be remedied by
removing the code).  The GPL, by omitting that second part, implies that
by accidentally inserting GPL code you're automatically accepting the license,
and no alternative such as removal of the code exists.