[OT] RFC for DRM replacement

Mark Rafn dagon at dagon.net
Thu Aug 14 22:28:15 UTC 2003

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, James Michael DuPont wrote:

> The argument of the DRM proponents is that it is not possible to
> protect their content without taking away the rights of the students.

Students?  What about non-students?

Even further off topic is the fact that they also argue that recipients
should not have rights that they currently do (cf "fair use").

> Now the one issue is that even if the users should have the right to
> examine the source code of the software, we still need a way to prevent
> them from extracting the content out of that software.

That would be quite a trick.

[snip a lot of words, which don't really address any problem that I can
see.]

Fundamentally, if the client is open-source, it can be modified, and the
modified version can LIE and say it's the original version.  Anything
which prevents this is not open-source.
--
Mark Rafn    dagon at dagon.net    <http://www.dagon.net/>