Question of basic rights

James Michael DuPont mdupont777 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 14 17:10:41 UTC 2003

Dear All,

I have been discussing the concept of basic rights to source code and
freedom to modify and use them.

My question is, is there a basic right under US law to be able to
create dervied works of software?

Lets say, considering a posting of source code to a mailing list, with
no statement of licensing implied or asked, is there any right another
person has to read that, edit it, modify it and publish derived works?

Are there any freedoms that can be seen as given unless the person
enters an agreement that is designed to take that freedom away?

The question comes from our free software for education project,
please feel free to comment on that :
http://fsedu.org/fsedu.pl?DefendStudents

1. You have the right to use free software instead of proprietary
software for all school-related tasks. The school shall not impede this
right in any way.

2. You have the right to demand open file formats:

2.1. Allow sincere choice of software/operating system

2.2. Openly specified and freely implementable

3.3. Work with completely Free systems

3. You have the right to publish your homework assignments as you see
fit, for profit or gratis.

4. You have the right to publish what you learn, in your own words, for
profit or gratis.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont