Can abandonment be irrevocable?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Aug 13 06:43:14 UTC 2003

Quoting Peter Fairbrother (zenadsl6186 at zen.co.uk):

> I totally agree with both of you - I'm trying to convince some people,
> including DJ Bernstein, _not_ to use abandonment, but to use a 2-clause BSD
> licence instead.

In the case of Prof. Bernstein, he's made very clear that he simply
doesn't like explicit licence statements and is disinclined to use them,
so you might as well give up trying.  (There's no rational reason why
someone in the indicated circumstances wouldn't find 2-clause BSD
amenable.)

> This wouldn't matter to me at all, except that some good code is being
> "abandoned"; and I don't know if I can use it.

I think your caution is reasonable, and applaud your attempt to help.

--
Cheers,              First they came for the verbs, and I said nothing, for
Rick Moen            verbing weirds language.  Then, they arrival for the nouns