Fwd: study of GNU GPL vs MS EULA

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Apr 30 09:08:54 UTC 2003

Quoting Con Zymaris (conz at cyber.com.au):

> While I agree with the basic tenets of Rick's argument, I would ask in
> return: if not a comparison of the GPL to the EULA, then what? I see these
> two licences as perhaps the primary exemplars of the FOSS and proprietary
> worlds, and as such, are perhaps the only readily available agreements we
> can contrast in this manner.

I probably forgot to properly stress that I appreciated your commentary,
despite my picking of nits.  My point, though, was that the two licences
compared tend not, in the pragmatic real world, to be alternative
choices:  Nobody says "Hmm, I wonder if I should issue this code of mine
under the XP EULA."  So, likely your point is some very broad one about
the two licensing philosophies, which you might want to make more
explicit.

You might want to mention that the GPL preamble, which you analyse at
some length, likely has no substantive effect.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                         This .signature intentionally left blank.
rick at linuxmafia.com