Need help choosing appropriate license

Neil Cowburn neilc at contentmaster.com
Thu Apr 24 14:27:50 UTC 2003

Hello all

I'm looking for advice on the kind of open-source license I should
adopt. I'm part of an organisation that is about to release a collection
of useful code chunks (all original implementations) and we want to
release them open-source. There are a few stipulations for the license
and these are as follows:

* The source code will be distributed free of charge and royalty-free.
* The source code must not be modified and subsequently released under a
different license.
* Modifications should be clearly commented as such and the resulting
code released under the same license
* The user of the source code is forbidden from using the code in any
commercial software components or UI controls (i.e. they can use it in
their applications, but they cannot create components and controls based
on our code and then sell to developers).

Can you please advise me as to which license best suits our needs?

Many thanks
Neil Cowburn

The information in this email is private and confidential. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken, or omitted to be taken, in reliance on it, is not permitted and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient please destroy it immediately, contacting us so we can correct our records. Content Master does not accept liability for any statements made which are the senders own and not expressly made on behalf of Content Master. We cannot accept any liability for any loss or damage sustained as a result of software viruses. It is your responsibility to carry out such virus checking as is necessary before opening any email or attachment.

Content Master Ltd. Tortworth House, Tortworth, Wotton-under-Edge, South Gloucestershire, GL12 8HQ, UK.  Tel +44 (0)1454 269222. Fax +44 (0)1454 269333. www.contentmaster.com