discuss: OCLC Office of Research Open Source License

Rod Dixon rod at cyberspaces.org
Mon Sep 30 15:48:30 UTC 2002

As far as the OSD is concerned, generally, the ORPL 2.0 seems fine to me,
except for a couple of license drafting matters.

I would consider revising the grant clause (section 4) to reflect the
initial grant, which was placed under section 1 ("Your Rights). For clarity,
it seems appropriate to use a grant clause that contains the rights granted
by the licensor as section 1 is written. Section 4 is a bit more mysterious
in that it reads like a cross-license for subsequent licensees? Is this
section an attempt to show consideration? Lastly, I can understand why an
original licensor would want section 4 to survive "termination" of the
license, but I am unaware of the legal basis for that kind of outcome. Even
so, assuming this is a grey area, would it be more plausible to specify the
purposes for which the grant in section 4 survives termination rather than
to say any reason? I am assuming that none of the reasons include
termination by the licensor. Is this correct?

 - Rod

Rod Dixon
Visiting Assistant Professor of Law
Rutgers University Law School - Camden
rod at cyberspaces.org
http://www.cyberspaces.org/dixon/
My papers on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) are available
through the following url: http://papers.ssrn.com/author=240132