OSL 1.1 treatment of documentation

Forrest J. Cavalier III mibsoft at mibsoftware.com
Thu Oct 31 04:08:34 UTC 2002

"Lawrence E. Rosen" <lrosen at rosenlaw.com> wrote in part:

> > Then, Forrest's question: what about a book that isn't a
> > derivative work? Could contract law and some technically
> > inept judge compell the book publisher to release the book's
> > source code (DocBook / TeX / whatever) under OSL?
>
> Not if it ain't a Derivative Work, I'd say.

How does not being Derivative Work matter? Isn't the
OSL a contract and not a copyright license?  "Derivative
Work" doesn't even appear in OSL 1.1 paragraph 3.

Consider a case when the software is meant to be
deployed as a network service.  Users use the software
by accessing it via a network.

Seems to me by the OSL paragraph 3, a book publisher
is compelled to include a machine-readable copy of their
book if they provide a copy of the Original work.

For "access and modify the Original Work" did you
mean "obtain"? "locate"? "identify"?