Right to Use

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Tue Oct 29 19:20:51 UTC 2002

No need to get too abstract in your examples.  Try this one:

Amazon takes an open source data base program and modifies it to provide
data to users on the Internet.  Should Amazon have to release its source
code modifications?

What if Amazon offers those services to other stores so that they can
sell their merchandise using Amazon's servers.  Should Amazon have to
relase its source code?

Why should Amazon not release its source code in these situations, as it
would have been otherwise required to do if it transferred a physical
copy of its derivative work to another company's computer?  Are these
the same activities with only minor technological differences?

I'm not bringing this example up to encourage some moral discussion
about what Amazon or any other company *should* do in similar
circumstances.  I'm just reacting to my perception that some in the open
source community wants a license to prevent what is sometimes called the
"ASP Problem."  The External Deployment provision is not in the Academic
Free License, nor will it ever be.

I know the existing OSL provisions is pretty broad.  I too sought
narrower language.  I can't think of any.

As a practical matter, you undestand, nobody is going to go after your
private, home Elm program.

/Larry